Friday, March 29, 2013

Family

“When asked why he (a former gang member) didn’t come (to church) anymore, he gave the following explanation: “I had the wrong idea about what church was going to be like. When I joined the church, I thought it was going to be like joining a gang. You see, in the gangs we weren’t just nice to each other once a week – we were family.” That killed me because I knew that what he expected is what the church is intended to be. It saddened me to think that a gang could paint a better picture of commitment, loyalty and family than the local church body.

The church is intended to be a beautiful place of community. A place where wealth is shared and when one suffers, everyone suffers. A place where when one rejoices, everyone rejoices. A place where everyone experiences real love and acceptance in the midst of great honesty about our brokenness.” –Francis Chan in Forgotten God 

Picture 010

1 comment: