Monday, June 16, 2014

I Went…again.

Remember this post?

My son and the son of the Music Minister that I mentioned here casually told us last week that they were planning to sing in the church where the Music Minister is now serving…on Father’s Day.

Of course, I went. And I had a different experience than the last time.

I’d never heard the song…

Song For My Family
Words and music by Michael Gungor

This is a song for my family
Outside the walls of Sunday
Morning from some within.
This is a song to confess our sins,
Lay it all out, and try to begin again.
To hope again.
Please forgive our ignorance
In looking down on you
Please forgive our selfishness
For hiding in our pews while the world bleeds
While the world needs us to be what we should be
This is a song for my family who
Just can’t believe in the Jesus that you’ve seen on Sunday morning.
This is a song for the cynical saints.
The burned out and hopeless.
The ones that we’ve cast away.
I feel your pain.
Please forgive the wastefulness of all that we could be
But don’t forget, there’s more than this
Her beauty still exists
His bride is still alive

This is a song for my family inside
The walls of Sunday morning.
Be what you should be.

gc 

I swear we underestimate the wisdom of young people. Who else could God use to pierce this cynical heart of mine?

1 comment:

  1. We do underestimate them, don't we? My kids have also been some of the greatest teachers in my life during this journey. So very thankful we have had each other AND our kids on this bumpy road the past 2 years. Thanks for sharing. The words in that song get me every time. I certainly am one of the "cynical saints" they sang about. I am thankful they were able to bring those lyrics to life. I was SO very proud of our boys. And thankful we continue to share life as we navigate our way through the hurt and disillusionment. ~Christine

    ReplyDelete